Other Genital Infections

Non-specific urethritis (NSU)

NSU in men can be caused by a variety of bacteria, viruses or other causes. Symptoms include burning when you pass urine and discharge from the urethra. Testing includes a swab and urine sample. Treatment is based on the most likely cause of your symptoms and may include antibiotics. As with all sexually transmitted infections your partner should be tested and treated appropriately.


Trichomonas Vaginalis (TV)

Trichomonas is a sexually transmitted infection which can cause symptoms including vaginal discharge, irritation, bleeding after sex or in between periods. Symptoms in men are unusual. We test for TV with a swab and if positive offer antibiotic treatment to you and your partner.



Thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection but can cause vaginal discharge, irritation and soreness. Thrush will often resolve on its own or with over the counter treatment. However, if your symptoms show no improvement over time with these treatments, or recur frequently, we recommend you attend for an accurate diagnosis as other conditions and infections can cause your symptoms.


Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)

Seen in women, this condition is not sexually transmitted. It is caused by an imbalance of the bacterial which live normally in the vagina and can cause symptoms of vaginal discharge which may have an offensive odour. We test for BV with a swab and offer antibiotic treatment when appropriate.


Information on UTI (urinary tract infection)

Symptoms of a urine infection include discomfort on passing urine, going to the toilet more frequently, lower abdominal pain and blood in your urine. Urine infection is much more common in females. Many uncomplicated urine infections will respond to drinking plenty of water but if your symptoms persist you should go to your GP, who will consider whether you require antibiotics. We also recommend testing for STI’s particularly chlamydia and gonorrhoea which can present with similar symptoms. If you become feverish or feel unwell please see your GP/out of hours service as soon as possible.


How helpful did you find this information?

Error: Contact form not found.

Sexual Health West Sussex